New employees

New employees

This information is for people who are about to start work at Victoria Legal Aid (VLA).

As a new employee it is important that you read this information and complete the required forms prior to commencement.

Documentation required before your first day

You will need to provide certified copies of the documents listed below:

  • birth certificate, extract or Australian Passport
  • photo ID (for example, driver’s licence if passport not provided)
  • signed contract of employment
  • practising certificate and/or qualifications.

Complete forms

You will also need to complete documents listed below:

VLA offers a choice of superannuation fund. If you choose not to nominate a fund, your Superannuation Guarantee contribution will be paid into VLA's default fund VicSuper.

Please note, some superannuation funds require VLA to become a 'participating employer' before making contributions. We will not agree to become a ‘participating employer' of any superannuation fund.

Police records check and Working with Children Check

You may also be required to consent to a police check and/or be the holder of a Working with Children Check (WWCC). If required, this will be listed in your position description and will be requested upon commencement.

To complete a police check you will be contacted by People and Culture at VLA via email and provided with the police check application form. Crimcheck is the chosen service provider.

To obtain a WWCC you will be required to complete an application form available on the WWCC website. VLA will reimburse the cost of completing this check. Please note, reimbursement is subject to receiving the WWCC confirmation of lodgment form and payment receipt.

If you currently hold a WWCC card please ensure to update your details (i.e. current employer, occupation code number, etc.) via the WWCC website. Please note you must notify the Department of Justice within 21 days of any change in personal particulars.

Information for you to read

Please familiarise yourself with the Code of Conduct for Public Sector Employees.

Further organisational policies will be available to you upon your commencement.

When you commence, you will also receive a copy of the Fair Work Information Statement. The statement provides basic information on matters that will affect your employment.

Enterprise Agreement

The VLA Enterprise Agreement 2016–2020 sets the conditions of employment for VLA staff. The agreement was certified by the Fair Work Commission in July 2017.

Read the Victoria Legal Aid Enterprise Agreement 2016–2020 (pdf, 2.07 MB).

If you would like an alternative accessible format of the agreement, please contact Resourcing and Recruitment on (03) 9269 0602.

Information for lawyers

To apply for a practising certificate or update the Legal Services Board of your new employer details, you will need to complete:

  • Notification of change of information kept on register – local legal practitioner: if you have changed address, name or you do not need to change the type of practising certificate
  • Application/Variation of Practising Certificate – if you are applying for a first local practising certificate or to recommence practice, or you need to change the type of practising certificate held, for example, from principle to employee.

You can download these forms from the Legal Services Board.

More information

Read about Employee benefits