I have a problem with a lawyer

I have a problem with a lawyer

Speak to your lawyer first

Try to resolve your issues by speaking to your lawyer first.  This gives them a chance to understand your issues and work together at resolving them.

How to make a complaint about your lawyer

If you cannot resolve your issues by speaking to your lawyer, make a complaint using our online form.

You can also make a complaint by sending an email to complaints@vla.vic.gov.au or by calling the Complaints and Statutory Compliance team on (03) 9280 3789.

Do you need an interpreter? 

We have interpreters

You can speak to someone in English or ask for an interpreter. If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can use the National Relay Service to call us over the internet on (03) 9280 3789. 

How to make a complaint for another person

If you are complaining on behalf of another person you must have proof that you have their consent. Without consent we are unable to provide any information, including whether or not a person has a grant of legal aid. You will need to fill out the client authority to act form or provide proof of guardianship.

There are three ways you can send us this consent document:

  • attach it using our online form
  • send it in an email to complaints@vla.vic.gov.au
  • post it in the mail to Complaints and Statutory Compliance, Victoria Legal Aid, GPO Box 4380, MELBOURNE VIC 3001.

In some cases we may be able to confirm consent over the phone.

What we will do with your information

We will use your information:

  • to resolve your complaint
  • to check the compliance of lawyers with their obligations as legal aid practitioners
  • as an opportunity to improve our services.

Generally we will need to tell your lawyer about the complaint and give them an opportunity to respond.

We aim to resolve complaints about lawyers within 28 days.

It is important that you read our privacy policy before submitting your personal information to Victoria Legal Aid.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint

The Legal Services Commissioner is able to receive complaints about Victorian lawyers.

If you are not happy with the way Victoria Legal Aid handled your complaint, you may contact the Victorian Ombudsman.

Make a complaint about your lawyer