Get help with personal safety intervention orders

Get help with personal safety intervention orders

Call us for free information about the law and how we can help you with your legal problem.

Phone 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm.

If you need an interpreter let us know.

Emergency help for people experiencing violence

If you are experiencing violence and the situation is urgent do not wait, contact the police on ‘000’.

Other organisations that can help

Legal services

Your local community legal centre may be able to give you legal information and advice. Most services are free.

The Aboriginal Family Violence Prevention and Legal Service helps Aboriginal victims of sexual assault and works with families and communities affected by violence.

You can also find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral Service. All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview. If you book an interview, write your questions down beforehand, so you get as much out of the free 30 minutes as possible. If you discuss getting further help from the lawyer, make sure you know how much it will cost.

Help at court

Many courts have support services that can help you on the day of your hearing. Ask the court staff who can help you. See Magistrates' Court website for contact details.

Court Network volunteers support people at court. They are not lawyers and cannot give legal advice, but they can tell you about how court works. They can also make referrals to other community agencies for support after the hearing.

If you want to see a Court Network volunteer tell the court staff. You can also ring them before you go to court.

Victims of crime

The Victims Support Agency gives practical assistance to help victims recover from the effects of crime through the Victims of Crime website.

The Victims of Crime Helpline is a free service offering information, advice and referrals to help victims to manage and recover from the effects of crime. Helpline staff can also contact other agencies on your behalf so you don't need to repeat your story.

The Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal provides financial assistance to victims of violent crime committed in Victoria.

Other services

Other services that may be able to help you are:

Was this helpful?