Victoria Legal Aid

COVID-19, child protection and you

This video has information for young people about where to seek help during the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic if home is not safe.

This video has information for young people who are in the child protection and care system. It explains how to get help during the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.


If Child Protection think you are not safe living at home, they can start a court case.

The court will work out the best way to keep you safe and cared for.

There will be a person called a magistrate at court. They are like a judge.

The magistrate is independent of Child Protection.

The magistrate will listen to everyone involved in your case before they make a decision.

If you are 10 or older, you will get your own lawyer to help you understand what is happening and have your say.

The lawyer’s job is to listen to what you want to happen.

They will only share what you say in court if you agree.

Court can be stressful and you may not want to be there. That’s okay.

Your lawyer can talk to you on the phone or through video chat.

If you don’t have your own phone, your lawyer will ask Child Protection how to contact you.

Sometimes it might take a few months until you know the magistrate’s decision.

If you have questions at any time, you can contact your lawyer.

If you’re living in resi or foster care, rules about COVID-19 might change things like where you can go and how you contact your family.

You may have to stay inside more than usual and speak with your family online or on the phone.

If you have questions about where you live, who you can see or what you can do, get legal help to understand your rights.

Call your lawyer if you have one, or call Victoria Legal Aid on 1300 792 387.

CREATE Foundation has more information about your rights in care and updates about COVID-19. Go to Link .

For more info or online chat go to Link or call 1300 792 387.

More information

CREATE FoundationExternal Link has more information about What COVID-19 means for children and young people in care in Victoria.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 22 April 2022

In this section