Get help with child protection

Read our legal information about COVID-19 coronavirus.

Get help with child protection

Call us for free information about the law and how we can help you with your child protection matter.

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Our other free legal services include:

For some matters we can provide you with a lawyer to help you run your case. You may be eligible if you are a:

  • child aged 10 or more
  • parent or other person trying to have a child in your care.

Other organisations that can help

Independent Family Advocacy and Support

Independent Family Advocacy and Support (IFAS) provides non-legal advocacy and support to parents and primary carers.

You can contact them for free in Victoria on 1800 849 200:

  • Monday 9 am to 12 pm
  • Wednesday 1 pm to 4 pm
  • Friday 9 am to 12 pm.

On the phone, they will tell you what services they can offer you.

Aboriginal legal services

If you or your child is Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, you can choose to access an Aboriginal legal service directly. Or, you can tell us that you want to be referred to one of the following services:

Help for young people

Kids Helpline is a free, confidential and anonymous counselling service for young people aged between 5 and 25. You can speak to a counsellor on the phone at any time of the day by calling 1800 551 800.

Visit the Kids Help Line website if you don't feel comfortable talking to someone over the phone, or if you can't get to a phone. Counselling is also available at certain times of the day, and by email. If you need help urgently, the telephone is the fastest way of getting to a counsellor.

More information

Get help with family violence

Get help with parenting arrangements and child contact

Was this helpful?