Get help with consumer complaints

Read our legal information about COVID-19 coronavirus.

Get help with consumer complaints

We don't give legal advice about consumer complaints, but we may be able to give you some information over the phone. We may also be able to refer you to another organisation that can help you.

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Other organisations that can help

Consumer Action Law Centre

The Consumer Action Law Centre gives free legal advice and representation to vulnerable and disadvantaged consumers across Victoria. If you are an individual consumer in a dispute with a credit provider, the centre can give you free advice on your rights and obligations.

Their fact sheets assist consumers and consumer advocates to deal directly with complaints, disputes and problems arising in the consumer marketplace.

They also manage the Money Help website, which can help you deal with money and debt issues. Money Help also provides a free financial counselling service.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria provides advice to consumers, businesses and other organisations. You can contact them to:

Consumer Affairs Victoria’s forms and publications can help you with fair trade, building and renovating, shopping and more.

Consumer Affairs Victoria also has a free app that provides instant advice on your refund, warranty and lay-by rights. The MyShopRights app is available on Android and iPhones.

Do Not Call Register

Register your home, personal mobile or fax number to the Do Not Call Register to reduce telemarketing calls. Registration is free.


The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission can help you take action to resolve a consumer problem. For information about how to make a complaint and your consumer rights see the ACCC website.

If you can't sort out problems with your electricity, gas (natural or LPG) or water provider and need help you can contact the Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria). Their videos answer some of the most common questions and give you advice to assist you to handle your own enquiries and complaints.

If you can’t resolve a complaint directly with your telephone company or internet provider contact the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.

The Victorian Ombudsman provides information on what to do if you have a complaint about a Victorian government body, and how they can help.   

Consumer credit ombudsman services

There are two free independent credit dispute services for consumers who borrow money from credit companies:

Lenders have to be members of one of these two services. They have to tell you which membership they have before you make a contract.

Was this helpful?