Get help with discrimination, harassment and bullying

Read our legal information about COVID-19 coronavirus.

Get help with discrimination, harassment and bullying

People are often confused about the difference between unfair treatment and unlawful discrimination. If you think you have been treated unfairly at work or in daily life, our Equality Law Program can help you understand your legal options. Our specialised team of lawyers provide advice and representation to eligible people experiencing discrimination, sexual harassment and victimisation.

Call us for free information about the law and how we can help you with your legal problem. 

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Our lawyers may also be able to help you if you have experienced discrimination, sexual harassment, victimisation, or racial or religious vilification in areas such as:

  • education
  • employment (including partnerships and contractors)
  • receiving goods or services
  • accommodation
  • clubs and sporting activities
  • situations that involve volunteers
  • treatment by local councils, governments and organisations performing public functions
  • access to premises
  • selling and transferring land.

In some cases we may be able to negotiate, make a complaint, or take legal action in a court or tribunal.

We do not provide general employment advice and we do not assist people to defend complaints of discrimination that have been made against them. We also do not assist people with complaints about bullying, unless it is linked to discrimination.

Who else can help

Legal services

The Disability Discrimination Legal Service provides free legal advice and assistance to anyone who wants to lodge a complaint about being discriminated against on the grounds of their disability.

The AED Legal Centre provides free legal advice and assistance to people with a disability in the areas of employment, education and training.

Villamanta is a Victorian community legal centre located in Geelong that works on disability related legal issues. They work mostly for people who have an intellectual disability.

JobWatch provides legal assistance to Victorian workers. They can give you free, confidential telephone information and referrals about work rights.

Fair Work Ombudsman

The Fair Work Ombudsman can give you information and advice about workplace rights and rules. They also investigate complaints about discrimination and harassment at work. You can call, email or visit them to find out how they can help you to make a complaint.

Fair Work Commission

If you reasonably believe that you have been bullied at work and the bullying is continuing you may apply to the Fair Work Commission for an order to stop the bullying. The commission must start dealing with your application within 14 days. They will investigate the complaint and may make orders they think are necessary to prevent the bullying from happening again.

Find out more about what you can do about bullying and discrimination at work.

Office of the Children’s eSafety Commissioner

If you are under 18 and have experienced cyberbullying you can make a complaint to the Office of the Children’s eSafety Commissioner. They will assess your complaint and make a decision on whether to investigate or take some other action.

They also have a list of social media services' safety centres where you can report abuse or content that you find offensive.

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission

The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission enquiry line staff can provide information to people about discrimination before they choose to make a complaint.

Call the enquiry line on 1300 292 153 or visit their website.

Making a complaint about discrimination

Discrimination law is complex. It can be confusing knowing where to go to make a complaint. There are often a number of options available, such as complaining to the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission or the Australian Human Rights Commission or the Fair Work Commission (the workplace relations tribunal).

If you complain to one place, sometimes you cannot later change your mind and complain elsewhere. It is best to call us or speak to one of the services above to get legal advice before lodging a complaint.

However, if you want to speak directly to a human rights commission or industrial tribunal about making a complaint you can contact:

Was this helpful?