Information for people protected by an order

Read our legal information about COVID-19 coronavirus.

Information for people protected by an order

How does an intervention order protect me?

An intervention order starts working once the police serve (give) it to the respondent. See When an intervention order starts.

So does a family violence safety notice. A family violence safety notice protects an adult from a family member who is using family violence.

An intervention order and a safety notice protect you by outlining conditions that the respondent must follow. For example, the respondent may not be allowed to come within 200 metres of where you live or work.

If a respondent does not obey the conditions in the order they are breaking the law. See Breaking an intervention order.

Who needs to know about the order?

Carry your intervention order with you. Give a copy to people at places where you and your children regularly go, such as school, kindergarten, childcare, or work. Then they can call the police if necessary.

Can the police help me if the respondent has to move out?

Yes. If the intervention order says that the respondent can no longer live in the home, the respondent must move out and cannot return (unless there is a condition that allows the respondent to collect his or her possessions).

The police can help you. They cannot evict the respondent, but they can arrest the respondent for not obeying the conditions of your order. See Breaking an intervention order.

You can also arrange for the police to be at your home while the respondent collects their things if you are worried about:

  • your safety or the safety of your children
  • damage to your property.

Can the police help me get my things from the house if I am leaving?

Yes. You can get the police to go with you to get your personal things if you are leaving your house and you are worried about what the respondent might do. However, the police will be there to make sure that you are not threatened or assaulted, not to help you move your things.

Can I go interstate and still be protected?

From 25 November 2017, any current intervention order made in Victoria (even if it was made before 25 November 2017) will be recognised in all other states and territories in Australia. There is no need to register the order interstate however it is best if you keep a copy of the order with you.

The police in that state must enforce the order. The respondent can be charged if they break the order.

Was this helpful?