Get help with guardianship and administration orders

Read our legal information about COVID-19 coronavirus.

Get help with guardianship and administration orders

If you have to go to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for an administration or guardianship order hearing, or already have an order, you can get legal help to work out your options.

Call us for free information about the law and how we can help you. 

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

You can speak with one of our lawyers about your guardianship or administration order. Our lawyers can give you advice about your matter and explain your rights. This is free.

Our lawyers may also be able to help you get ready for your hearing and speak for you at VCAT on the day.

Other organisations that can help

Legal services

Your local community legal centre can give you legal information and advice. Most services are free.

Mental Health Legal Centre (MHLC) provides a free and confidential legal service to anyone who has experienced mental illness in Victoria where their legal problem relates to their mental illness. 

Villamanta Disability Rights Legal Service is a Victorian community legal centre located in Geelong that works on disability related legal issues. They work mostly for people who have an intellectual disability.

You can also find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral Service. All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview. You can use this interview to understand more about the legal issue and discuss the available options and how much they will cost. Note that the free interview is not 30 minutes of free legal advice. 

Office of the Public Advocate

The Office of the Public Advocate provides information, advice and assistance about enduring powers of attorney and guardianship and consent to medical and dental treatment.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal

The Guardianship List of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal makes orders (such as guardianship and administration orders) for people aged over 18 who may not be able to make decisions about themselves, their circumstances, or their financial and legal affairs.

If VCAT has made a guardianship or administration order, it will have a file about your case. You can ask VCAT to look at your file. VCAT should give you enough time to look at your file so you can get ready for your hearing. There may be some information in your file you cannot see if VCAT has a good reason. You may also need to pay a fee to see your file. In some circumstances VCAT can decide not to charge you a fee. You can ask for this to happen.

Financial services

If VCAT makes an administration order, it may appoint a consultant from State Trustees to be your personal financial administrator.

If you need information or help looking after your finances such as how to budget or pay debts, Money Help can give you free financial information and referral to a financial counsellor.


The Victorian Ombudsman enquires into or investigates administrative actions taken by:

  • a government department
  • a public statutory body or
  • any member of staff of a municipal council.

This includes complaints against State Trustees and the Office of the Public Advocate.

Was this helpful?