Resources about housing and tenancy

Read our legal information about COVID-19 coronavirus.

Resources about housing and tenancy

These resources will help you understand more about housing and the law if you are a living in a rental property, rooming house or caravan park.

Note – rental laws are changing

New laws will provide more protections for renters. Some changes, including the ability to keep pets, have already been made. More changes will start 29 March 2021. Learn more about the changes and new rental laws on the Tenants Victoria website.

Our resources

Am I old enough is a publication for young people about common legal issues, which includes information about renting if you are under 18.

We also have a video about your rights if you are Renting a property.

Other resources you might find useful

Tenants Victoria

Tenants Victoria has a range of publications, including fact sheets, handbooks, and step-by-step guides, to help tenants understand their rights. Many of their publications are also available in other languages.

Justice Connect

Justice Connect has some resources for renters, including Dear Landlord – a free self-help tool for renters to help them avoid eviction.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria has:

For more information about living in or owning a rental property, caravan park, rooming house or movable dwelling in Victoria, see the Consumer Affairs Victoria website.

They also have forms and publications to help you with renting, fair trade, building and renovating and more.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) can help you understand:

  • what happens at the tribunal
  • how to resolve tenancy disputes
  • how to present a case at the tribunal.

For more information about VCAT disputes, and step-by-step guides on how to apply to the tribunal, see the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal website.

Was this helpful?