Allocation of work guideline

Allocation of work guideline

The following content provides basic information only. Practitioners should refer to the VLA Handbook for lawyers for the relevant guidelines.

How work is allocated

A grant of legal assistance (including a transfer of legal assistance) made for all criminal law family law, child protection, family violence and personal safety intervention order matters, and where an independent children's lawyer is appointed, will only be allocated to a firm or practitioner on the relevant panel established under section 29A of the Legal Aid Act 1978 or a Victoria Legal Aid lawyer.

Family law matters

The allocation of work guideline allows for limited discretion for family law matters to be allocated to a non-section 29A firm if the particular needs of the client cannot reasonably be met by a section 29A panel firm or Victoria Legal Aid lawyer.

If a practitioner is not on the section 29A Family Law Panel they must:

  • apply for a grant of legal assistance using a Victoria Legal Aid Assessed template in ATLAS
  • explain in the application why the particular needs of the client cannot reasonably be met by a firm on the Family Law Panel or a Victoria Legal Aid lawyer.


If you have any questions, please call Victoria Legal Aid's Grants and Quality Assurance on (03) 9269 0600.

For further information about how to get on a section 29A panel see Practitioner panels.

Was this helpful?