Get help with COVID-19

Get help with COVID-19

Get help over the phone (please note that there may be longer wait times) or speak to us in your langauge.

Get help through Legal Help Chat, our online webchat service. Many requests can be dealt with online rather than on the phone. Our live webchat service can provide general information about the law faster than our phone line.

There are some legal problems we don’t give advice about, but we may be able to give you some information over the phone or through our live webchat service. If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

For people affected by the public housing lockdowns

Residents can call Disaster Legal Help for free information about employment law, family law and family violence problems, existing court orders, or questions about your legal rights:

  • 1800 113 432 from 8 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday
  • for urgent after-hours legal advice, residents of Alfred Street tower can call 0434 136 501.

For more information and help identifying legal problems, visit Public housing lockdowns on the Disaster Legal Help website.

Inner Melbourne Community Legal

Inner Melbourne Community Legal have information available on your rights if you are affected by the government lockdowns of public housing in Flemington and North Melbourne.

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission

The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission have created a fact sheet for people affected by the public housing lockdowns, Your rights in full lockdown. It  is available in multiple languages.


JobWatch also have a fact sheet for public housing residents in lockdown

Other organisations that can help

Consumer Action Law Centre

The Consumer Action Law Centre gives free legal advice to vulnerable and disadvantaged consumers in Victoria. They can help with financial stress and other consumer problems relating to COVID-19. You can call their free Legal Help Line on 1800 466 477 or their dedicated Koori Help Line on 1800 574 457 between 10 am and 1 pm daily. They also have a new online chatbot service that can receive enquiries at any time.

The National Debt Helpline is managed by the Consumer Action Law Centre. It offers free, confidential and independent financial information to Victorians having difficulty paying their rent, mortgage or debts. Call or email the free financial counselling service.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria has advice on their website about postponed or cancelled events or travel plans and your rights under the Australian Consumer Law.

They also have tenancy information for international students who have been affected by the COVID-19 travel ban, available in multiple languages.

Department of Social Services

The Department of Social Services has COVID-19 information and referrals for people with disability and their supporters.

This includes easy-read fact sheets about JobKeeper payment impacts on disability support pension recipients and impacts on carer payment recipients.

Economic Justice Australia

Economic Justice Australia has a fact sheet to explain what Centrelink can do if you have been affected by COVID-19.

Fair Work Ombudsman

The Fair Work Ombudsman has frequently asked questions about workplace obligations and entitlements under Australian workplace laws if you're affected by COVID-19.

Federation of Community Legal Centres

The Federation of Community Legal Centres can assist you to find a community legal centre near you.

Job Watch

Job Watch is an employment rights legal centre. Their website has Q&As about employment rights in relation to COVID-19 and a returning to work Q&A

Law Institute of Victoria

The Law Institute of Victoria can help you find a lawyer. Some lawyers offer a free first interview through the Find a lawyer legal referral service.

People with a Disability Australia

The COVID-19 Hub at People with A Disability Australia has and links for Australians with a disability. 

Social Security Rights Victoria

Social Security Rights Victoria provides legal information and advice to Victorians about their social security entitlements. You can contact Social Security Rights Victoria for free information or advice.

Tenants Victoria

Tenants Victoria provides information, advice and legal representation to protect the rights of Victorians who rent their homes. The Tenants Victoria website has information about what you can do if your tenancy is impacted by COVID-19

Impact on the Victorian justice system

Legal organisations, courts and tribunals across Victoria are taking active steps to limit the spread of COVID-19. This means there are some changes to services.

Read the latest updates about how courts and tribunals are dealing with COVID-19 from the Judicial College of Victoria.

Read an update about our services, correct as at 20 March 2020. 

There are also changes to services for many community legal centres. Please refer to individual centres for details. The Federation of Community Legal Centres can assist you to find a community legal centre near you.

Was this helpful?