Special circumstances

Special circumstances

You may be eligible to have your fines reviewed if you show you had special circumstances when you broke the law and got a fine.

You will need to ask Fines Victoria to review enforcement of your fines. This is called ‘enforcement review’.

If you are successful on review, Fines Victoria will cancel enforcement and send your fines back to the agency that fined you. The agency may then withdraw your fines, issue a warning or commence proceedings to enforce your unpaid fines in a special list of the Magistrates’ Court called the Special Circumstances List. The Special Circumstances List generally waives the fines or significantly reduces the penalties.

What is a ‘special circumstance’?

You have special circumstances if you:

  • had a mental or intellectual disability, disorder, disease or illness, including anxiety and depression
  • had a serious addiction to drugs, alcohol or volatile substance – this includes marijuana or alcohol, as well as drugs such as heroin, ice, speed or ecstasy
  • are a victim of family violence
  • were homeless – you were living on the streets, you did not have a stable place to live for a long time or you were couch surfing.

The law says you may not have to pay your fines in full if you were experiencing a special circumstance when you got the fine and you found it difficult to avoid breaking the law. This means you:

  • could not control your behaviour when you broke the law
  • or did not understand that you had broken the law.

When you can apply

If you want to apply you must:

  • have received a Notice of Final Demand from Fines Victoria for unpaid fines
  • accept that you broke the law. This means that, unless the fines are withdrawn, you will have to plead guilty at court and there would be a record of this.

If you think you did not break the law, for example, you were not driving the car at the time of the fine, get legal help.

How to apply

When a fine is not paid, Fines Victoria can take action against you. This is called ‘enforcement’. 

To have enforcement of your fines cancelled you must prove to Fines Victoria that you had special circumstances at the time of the fines. 

Find out about the three steps you need to take to make a special circumstances application.

Going to the Special Circumstances List at the Magistrates’ Court

If Fines Victoria decides you have special circumstances, it will cancel enforcement of the fines and refer the matter back to the agency that fined you. The agency may decide to withdraw the fine and/or issue an official warning instead. However, the agency may also withdraw the fine and decide to proceed against you by way of charge and summons

If this happens, the offences will be referred to the Special Circumstances List in the Magistrates’ Court to be dealt with as a criminal offence

If your matter is referred to the Special Circumstances List you will get a letter telling you to go to court.

Read more about going to court.

The magistrate or judicial registrar will decide what happens to your unpaid fines, taking into consideration your special circumstances.

Read more about possible outcomes and penalties at court.

Get help

Find out how you can get help with fines and infringements.

Was this helpful?