Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at www.legalaid.vic.gov.au

How to get help – Auslan

This information was produced on Wurundjeri Land and is correct as of March 2022.

Legal problems can make you feel stressed, anxious, sad or angry.

This video is about the different ways you can tell us about your legal problem.

We are here to help with your legal problem. Everyone is welcome to contact us.

Getting ready to contact us

Get any paperwork about your legal problem such as a fine or a letter or email from a court, a lawyer or the police.

Everything you tell us is confidential. We will not tell anyone what you say unless you tell us we can.

Be prepared for us to ask you questions. This helps us decide what help we can give you.

How to tell us about your legal problem

Contact our Legal Help team. Legal Help is open Monday to Friday, 8 am to 6 pm. It is closed on public holidays.

You can contact Legal Help in different ways.

You can message us on our webchat

Our webchat is called Legal Help Chat. You can write to us, and our staff can send information back by email. If you need more help, our staff will work out how to give you more services in a way that suits you: www.legalaid.vic.gov.au

You can use the National Relay Service to phone us

You must register for the National Relay Service before using it.

Different National Relay Service options are:

TTY: phone 133 677

Speak and Listen: phone 1300 555 727

Internet Relay: visit nrschat.nrscall.gov.au

SMS Relay: text 0423 677 767

Video Relay: use Skype or the National Relay Service app.

Select your preferred National Relay Service option then phone this number: 1300 792 387.

Calling Legal Help costs the same as a local phone call.

If you phone us, you may have to wait. Phone early in the morning if you can.

It may be faster to use our webchat.

You can get help phoning us

You can ask a worker or support person who you trust to phone us on 1300 792 387. It is best if you are with them when they phone. Workers should follow the instructions on the phone menu.

Other ways to contact us

We have offices across Melbourne and regional Victoria. Our offices have ramps or lifts and are service animal friendly. You can get legal information from our offices anytime. You will need an appointment to talk to a lawyer.

Some of our offices have Aboriginal community engagement officers. They work in the community. They can talk to you about your legal problem and how to get help.

Visit our website for more information about our offices and our Aboriginal community engagement officer program: www.legalaid.vic.gov.au


Thank you to Deaf Victoria who made this video and to our consumer advocacy groups Shared Experience and Support and Speaking from Experience who helped us write these messages.