Victoria Legal Aid

Police powers: your rights in Victoria

Published 2019-08-01

Important update

From September 2022 police and protective service officers have new powers in and around police stations.

Police and protective service officers can now:

  • ask why you are at or near a police station. ‘Near a police station’ includes in the car park or out the front.
  • ask for your name and address if they do not think you have a legitimate reason for being there. A ‘legitimate reason’ includes reporting a crime, asking for help, or if you need to go there as part of your bail conditions.

Police and protective service officers can ask you to leave the station or direct you to stay away for up to seven days. They can do this if they believe two things:

  • you do not have a legitimate reason for being there
  • this is needed to preserve the peace or station security.

Police and protective service officers can remove, arrest or fine you if:

  • you do not answer these questions
  • you do not leave or stay away when asked
  • you try to stop police carrying out these duties
  • you try to stop someone from going into or leaving the police station.

For more information, please see our pages on speaking to the police and protective service officers.

Information about this booklet

This free booklet is a general guide to help you when you deal with the police.

It includes information for young people under the age of 18 and people with cognitive disability.

It has information about:

  • when you can remain silent
  • when you have to give your name and address
  • getting arrested
  • giving fingerprints
  • being searched
  • giving body samples
  • move on powers
  • making a complaint about police
  • traffic offences
  • fines.
Order free copies of this resource
Some of our publications have limits on how many copies you can order. If you need more copies, email or phone (03) 9269 0234 and ask for the Community Legal Education team.

Reviewed 25 January 2023