Victoria Legal Aid

My safety tool

Plan for your safety and separation when experiencing domestic, family or sexual violence.

Who the tool can assist

This tool will assist if you are planning to end a relationship or have already ended a relationship. It will also assist you to understand more about domestic, family and sexual violence. It has been developed with people with lived experience of family violence.

If you would like to speak to a family violence specialist you can contact 1800 RespectExternal Link on 1800 737 732 at any time

How this tool can assist you

At the end of this tool you will get information on:

  • your options
  • services that can assist you
  • links to further information to build your knowledge and understanding.

How to use the tool

This tool will ask you questions about your situation.

You can use the ‘back’ button located in the tool or the ‘start again’ button at the end of the tool to explore different options.

Any answers you give using the tool will not be saved or stored. This means if you exit from the tool or navigate away from the tool you will need to start from the beginning.


There are resources if you need help in your language. There is also information in other languages on the Family RelationshipsExternal Link website.

There are resources if you need help in Easy EnglishExternal Link . There is information about abuse on theOffice of the Public AdvocateExternal Link website.

To speak with a lawyer call Victoria Legal Aid on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm. A lawyer can assist you to understand your rights and options.

Need help outside of Victoria?

For family violence services outside Victoria, call 1800 RespectExternal Link on 1800 737 732 or chat onlineExternal Link .

Information for people who have used family violence

There is information on family violence intervention ordersExternal Link for people who have used family violence.

You can also get information and assistance from Men’s Referral Service by calling 1300 766 491.

Get started with My safety

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 03 January 2024