Victoria Legal Aid

Easy English

How we can help you with legal issues in Easy English (Easy Read) format.

Read this page with text and images

Legal problems can make you feel:

  • upset
  • worried
  • sad
  • angry.

We know you might feel like this when you talk to us.

We can help you with your legal problems.

There are four ways to tell us about your legal problem.

You can:

  • call Legal Help on 1300 792 387
  • write to us on our Legal Help Chat on our website.
  • come to one of our offices
  • talk to an Aboriginal community engagement officer if there is one in your area.

Before you talk to us, get any paperwork about your legal problem.

Paperwork may be a fine, a letter or email that is from a court, a lawyer or the police.

You can call Legal Help on 1300 792 387.

Legal Help is open Monday to Friday, 8 am to 6 pm. It is closed on public holidays.

It will cost the same as a local phone call.

Anyone can call Legal Help.

If you call Legal Help you may have to wait.

Call early in the morning if you can.

It may be faster to use our Legal Help Chat.

Can someone call for me?


A worker or support person you trust can call us.

It would be good for you to be with your worker or support person when they call.

Workers should press four when asked.

Can I use the National Relay Service?

Yes. There are five ways you can use this service:

You need to join the National Relay Service before you can use it.

Can I talk in my language?

Our staff can speak other languages. If we do not speak your language, we will find someone who can. This is called an interpreter.

Click on this link to see if we speak your language.

Write to us on webchat

You can write to us on our website in the Legal Help Chat and our staff will write back to you.

If you need more help staff may tell you to call Legal Help.

Visit us

We have offices across Melbourne and other places in Victoria.

Find out where we have offices.

You can visit an office to get legal information anytime. You will need to make a time to talk to a lawyer.

Our offices have ramps or lifts and you can bring your service animal.

Talk to an Aboriginal community engagement officer

We have people called Aboriginal community engagement officers.

They work in the community.

They can talk to you about your legal problem and how to get help.

Click on the link to find out more about Aboriginal community engagement officers.

We will ask you questions so we know what help we can give you.

Everything you tell us is private.

We will not tell anyone what you say unless you tell us we can.

We can help with lots of legal problems.

If we cannot help you, we will tell you who can.

This may be a community legal centre or a lawyer who does not work for Victoria Legal Aid.

How we can help

We can tell you about the law and different things you can do.

We may also be able to:

  • send you information
  • talk to you before court
  • help you to find other services and supports
  • write letters
  • speak for you in court.

To know if we can help you will need to tell us:

  • your legal problem
  • how much money you have.

We may be able to give more help if you:

  • are Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
  • have a disability or a mental health issue
  • don’t speak English very well.

We can get you support to communicate with us, like interpreters or the National Relay Service.

We can communicate with you in ways that you find helpful.

Tell us how you want us to give you information.

Duty lawyers

Duty lawyers can help with some legal problems in court.

If you do not have a lawyer, you can ask for a duty lawyer.

Our duty lawyers work at law courts in Victoria.

Ask the court if you can talk to a duty lawyer.

If you are going to the Magistrates’ Court because the police said you broke the law, you may be able to talk to a duty lawyer before going to court.

Click on the link to find out more about our Help Before Court service.

You can also ask the court about other services that can help you.

If you are going to the family law court, you may be able to talk to our Family Advocacy and Support Services before going to court.

Other support

We can give other support for your legal problem.

Our website has lots of information about legal problems. Click on I need legal information about ... to search.

You can make the words bigger or use a screen reader.

Do you have information in Easy Read or in my language?

We have free booklets in Easy Read and in different languages.

Click on our publications pageExternal Link for the booklets.

You can use a screen reader to read our booklets.

You can also click on the Supporting JusticeExternal Link webpage from RMIT University.


We had help with making this page from:

  • VLA Consumer Advisory groups
    • Shared Experience and Support
    • Speaking from Experience
  • Victorian Advocacy League for Individuals with Disability.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 22 August 2022

In this section