Victoria Legal Aid

How to run a family law case

Preparing your own family law case takes time and can be difficult. It is important to be organised, prepared and well informed. Doing your own research can help you understand the law and how it may affect your case.

Note that the law is changing on 6 May 2024. We will update this content closer to 6 May 2024.

If you are concerned about your own situation and whether these changes might affect you, please contact us.

These resources are not a substitute for legal advice. Get legal advice if you are involved in a court case, or may be involved in a court case.

About the kit

This kit provides practical guidance on how to complete court documents, and should be read with a current resource Parenting Orders – what you need to knowExternal Link available on the website of the Attorney-General’s department.

It is for people involved in disputes under the Family Law Act 1975External Link (Commonwealth) about children and property.

It covers information about:

  • alternatives to going to court
  • family violence or child abuse
  • how to apply to a court
  • preparing for a court case involving children or property disputes
  • affidavits
  • disclosure and subpoenas
  • trials and final hearings
  • what happens once an order is made
  • where to get help.

Download the kit

This is a free do-it-yourself kit to helps you prepare a family law case and represent yourself in court.

The following fact sheets provide a summary of current information on topics covered in the kit:

Accessing court orders in family law matters

Orders made by the Federal Circuit and Family Court are available from the Commonwealth Courts PortalExternal Link . This is an online service available from the court’s website.

If you are not represented by a lawyer in family law litigation, you will need to register with the portalExternal Link to access any orders made. An email address is required for this purpose. Information about how to register to use the portal is available from the Federal Circuit and Family Court website:

If you need more help to register or to use the portal, contact the National Enquiry Centre (NEC) on 1300 352 000. NEC support staff will be able to help you register over the phone, and tell you how to access computers and printers at the court if required.

Get help

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Our other free legal services include:

For some matters we can provide you with a lawyer to help you run your case.

Family dispute resolution can help couples who have separated sort out disputes more quickly and easily than by going to court. Learn about our family dispute resolution service.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 04 April 2024

In this section