Victoria Legal Aid

Other support for victims of crime

Learn where to get legal help and other support for victims of crime.

Help in an emergency

In an emergency, call 000 to report a crime.

The Victims Legal Service provides free legal advice and support to people who have suffered injury or loss because of a crime and need help to:

  • get financial assistance through the Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal
  • get compensation from the person who committed the crime.

Find out more about the Victims Legal Service.

Victims of Crime service

The Victims Support Agency provides support services to victims through the Victims of Crime websiteExternal Link and helpline.

The Victims of Crime HelplineExternal Link is a free service offering information, advice and referrals to help victims to manage and recover from the effects of crime. Helpline staff can also contact other agencies on your behalf so you don't need to repeat your story.

The Victims Support Agency also manages:

  • the Victims Assistance and Counselling Program, which provides short-term counselling, ongoing practical support, outreach services, court support, referral to specialist support groups
  • the Victims Register, which allows a victim of violent crime to be advised at key points while the offender is serving a sentence in prison or (where applicable) extended supervision after completing the sentence.

Call the helpline for more information about these services.

The Victims of Crime website also has information about other services that can helpExternal Link and a list of publications and fact sheetsExternal Link to support victims of crime.

Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal

Victims of Crime Assistance TribunalExternal Link provides financial assistance to victims of violent crime committed in Victoria. You may be eligible for a payment to cover the costs of counselling and medical appointments, safety-related items, loss of income and other expenses.

Many community legal centresExternal Link can give you legal information and advice if you want to apply to the Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal for financial assistance. Most services are free.

Help for witnesses

Victims and Witness Assistance ServiceExternal Link is available to all victims of crime and prosecution witnesses involved in cases being handled by the Office of Public Prosecutions.

If you are a victim or a prosecution witness, an experienced social worker can assist you before, during and after the court process. The service can help to arrange a pre-court meeting between you and a lawyer or prosecutor and keep you updated on the progress of the case.

Child Witness ServiceExternal Link offers support to victims or witnesses of crime under the age of 18 through the process of giving evidence at court. Child witnesses can give evidence through a live closed-circuit TV link to the courtroom.

Help at court

Court Network volunteersExternal Link can provide support on the day of the hearing, help organising childcare and disability access, provide information about court procedures and help with arrangements to ensure your safety when you’re at court.

They also have a telephone information and referral services for victims of crime who have to attend court. Court Network staff are available in the Magistrates', County, Supreme, Family and Coroners’ courts.

Youthlaw website

Youthlaw provides detailed information about what you can do if you are a victim of a crimeExternal Link , including useful links.

Office of Public Prosecutions (Victoria)

The Office of Public Prosecutions website has information on:

How we can help

Contact us for free information about the law and how we can help if you are a victim of crime.

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 09 March 2023

In this section