Victoria Legal Aid

Other support for COVID-19 coronavirus

Learn where to get legal help and other support about COVID-19 coronavirus.

How we can help

There are some legal problems we don’t give advice about, but we may be able to give you some information over the phone or through our live online chat. Many requests can be dealt with online rather than on the phone.

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Other organisations that can help

Victorian Government information

The government Better Health websiteExternal Link has the latest information about:

  • current restrictions
  • booking a vaccine appointment
  • quarantine and emergency accommodation
  • getting tested
  • public exposure sites
  • financial and other support for COVID-19
  • Victorian travel permit system.

Consumer Action Law Centre

The Consumer Action Law CentreExternal Link gives free legal adviceExternal Link to vulnerable and disadvantaged consumers in Victoria. They can help with financial stress and other consumer problems relating to COVID-19. You can call their free Legal Help Line on 1800 466 477 or their dedicated Koori Help Line on 1800 574 457 between 10 am and 1 pm daily. They also have a new online chatbot serviceExternal Link that can receive enquiries at any time.

The National Debt HelplineExternal Link is managed by the Consumer Action Law Centre. It offers free, confidential and independent financial information to Victorians having difficulty paying their rent, mortgage or debts. Call or email the free financial counselling serviceExternal Link .

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria has advice on their website about postponed or cancelled events or travel plansExternal Link and your rights under the Australian Consumer Law.

They also have information about renting for international studentsExternal Link who have been affected by the COVID-19 travel ban, available in multiple languages.

Department of Social Services

The Department of Social Services has COVID-19 information and referrals for people with disability and their supportersExternal Link .

This includes easy-to-read fact sheets about JobKeeper payment impacts on disability support pension recipientsExternal Link and impacts on carer payment recipientsExternal Link .

Fair Work Ombudsman

The Fair Work Ombudsman has frequently asked questionsExternal Link about workplace obligations and entitlements under Australian workplace laws if you're affected by COVID-19.

The Federation of Community Legal CentresExternal Link can assist you to find a community legal centreExternal Link near you.

Job Watch

Job WatchExternal Link is an employment rights legal centre. Their website has Q&As about employment rights in relation to COVID-19External Link and a returning to work Q&AExternal Link . They also have information about vaccinations in the workplace.

Law Institute of Victoria

The Law Institute of VictoriaExternal Link can help you find a lawyer. Some lawyers offer a free first interview through the Find a lawyer legal referral serviceExternal Link .

People with a Disability Australia

The COVID-19 Hub at People with A Disability AustraliaExternal Link has information and links for Australians with a disability.

Social Security Rights Victoria

Social Security Rights VictoriaExternal Link provides legal information and advice to Victorians about their social security entitlements. You can contact Social Security Rights VictoriaExternal Link for free information or advice.

Tenants Victoria

Tenants VictoriaExternal Link provides information, advice and legal representation to protect the rights of Victorians who rent their homes. The Tenants Victoria website has information about what you can do if your tenancy is impacted by COVID-19External Link .

Impact on the Victorian justice system

Legal organisations, courts and tribunals across Victoria are taking active steps to limit the spread of COVID-19. This means there are some changes to services.

Read the latest updates about how courts and tribunals are dealing with COVID-19External Link from the Judicial College of Victoria.

There are also changes to services for many community legal centres. Please refer to individual centres for details. The Federation of Community Legal CentresExternal Link can assist you to find a community legal centreExternal Link near you.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 27 March 2024

In this section