Victoria Legal Aid

Allocation of work guideline

Only firms that are on the section 29A Indictable Crime, Summary Crime, Child Protection, Independent Children's Lawyer or Family Law panels are able to conduct new legally assisted matters. There is a limited exception for family law matters.

The following content provides basic information only. Practitioners should refer to the VLA Handbook for lawyersExternal Link for the relevant guidelines.

How work is allocated

A grant of legal assistance (including a transfer of legal assistance) made for all criminal law family law, child protection, family violence and personal safety intervention order matters, and where an independent children's lawyer is appointed, will only be allocated to a firm or practitioner on the relevant panel established under section 29A of the Legal Aid Act 1978 or a Victoria Legal Aid lawyer.

Family law matters

The allocation of work guideline allows for limited discretion for family law matters to be allocated to a non-section 29A firm if the particular needs of the client cannot reasonably be met by a section 29A panel firm or Victoria Legal Aid lawyer.

If a practitioner is not on the section 29A Family Law Panel they must:

  • apply for a grant of legal assistance using a Victoria Legal Aid Assessed template in ATLASExternal Link
  • explain in the application why the particular needs of the client cannot reasonably be met by a firm on the Family Law Panel or a Victoria Legal Aid lawyer.


If you have any questions, please call Victoria Legal Aid's Grants and Quality Assurance on (03) 9269 0600.

For further information about how to get on a section 29A panel see Practitioner panels.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 19 May 2022

In this section