Victoria Legal Aid

Other support for traffic offences

Learn where to get legal help and other support for traffic offences.

Other organisations that can help

Your local community legal centreExternal Link can give you legal information and advice. Most services are free.

You can also find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral ServiceExternal Link . All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview. You can use this interview to understand more about the legal issue and discuss the available options and how much they will cost. Note that the free interview is not 30 minutes of free legal advice.

Help at court

Court Network volunteersExternal Link support people at court. They are not lawyers and cannot give legal advice, but they can tell you about how court works. If you want to see a Court Network volunteer tell the court staff. You can also ring them before you go to court.

Our resources

See a list of all our free publications and resourcesExternal Link .

We also have these videos:

Resources from other organisations

The Law Handbook

Fitzroy Legal Service’s Law Handbook has information about:

Fines Victoria

The Fines websiteExternal Link has detailed information about the Victorian infringements process and your options for dealing with fines.

Magistrates’ Court

The court website has information about the steps you need to take to get another licenceExternal Link if it has been cancelled for a drink or drug-driving offence.


The VicRoads website has information about:

Transport Accident Commission

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) has forms and brochuresExternal Link for people involved in an accident.

Find information on what you can claimExternal Link from the TAC after a car accident.


The Youthlaw website explains the ‘hoon driving’ offencesExternal Link , police powers in relation to these hoon driving offences, and how you can get help.

How we can help

Contact us for free information about traffic offences and how we can help you with your legal problem. Many requests can be dealt with online via our live webchat service.

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 16 January 2023

In this section