Victoria Legal Aid

Other support for your rights when it comes to police powers

Learn where to get legal help and other support for your rights when it comes to police powers.

Our free legal services include help at court. For some matters, we can also provide you with a lawyer to help you run your case.

Other organisations that can help

Your local community legal centreExternal Link can give you legal information and advice. Most services are free.

The Victorian Aboriginal Legal ServiceExternal Link (VALS) provides legal advice and assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. If you are Koori and taken into custody, the police must tell VALS within one hour. You will get support and advice from one of their client services officers. They also have a 24-hour serviceExternal Link .

You can also find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral ServiceExternal Link . All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview. You can use this interview to understand more about the legal issue and how much it will cost. Note that the free interview is not 30 minutes of free legal advice.

Other services

If you have a cognitive disability, the Office of the Public Advocate can provide an independent third personExternal Link to be with you at the police station while you are interviewed or during procedures such as the police taking body samples.


See Complaints about police for organisations that can help you make a complaint if you feel you have not been treated fairly by the police.

Our resources about your rights

These resources will help you understand:

  • police powers in Victoria
  • your rights
  • what to do if you go to court.

See a list of all our free publications and resourcesExternal Link , including:

We also have a video about police.

Resources from other organisations


Youthlaw's website contains information about:

Youthlaw's Street Smart VictoriaExternal Link is a practical guide to knowing your rights on the streets and has information about police powers.

The Law Handbook

The Law Handbook from Fitzroy Legal Service contains information about:

How we can help

Contact us for free information about the law and how we can help you with your legal issue. Many requests can be dealt with online rather than on the phone.

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 06 November 2023

In this section