Victoria Legal Aid

Other support for Wills, estates and powers of attorney

Learn where to get legal help and other support for Wills, estates and powers of attorney.

Other organisations that can help

Office of the Public Advocate

The Office of the Public Advocate Advice ServiceExternal Link provides information, advice and assistance about enduring powers of attorney. The service is available during business hours and also accepts emergency enquiries at any time.

Your local community legal centreExternal Link can give you legal information and advice. Most services are free.

Senior Rights Victoria

Seniors Rights VictoriaExternal Link provides information, support, advice and education to help prevent elder abuse and safeguard the rights, dignity and independence of older people.

Law Institute of Victoria

You can also find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral ServiceExternal Link . All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview. You can use this interview to understand more about the legal issue and discuss the available options and how much they will cost. Note that the free interview is not 30 minutes of free legal advice.

Probate Office of the Supreme Court

The Probate OfficeExternal Link deals with all applications for Grants of Representation of deceased estates in Victoria. Their website has information to assist people who are applying for a grant of probate. Registry staff may also provide advice and assistance to persons seeking to obtain representation in small estate matters.

Fitzroy Legal Service's Law HandbookExternal Link has an example of a simple model Will and information about the things you might like to put in a Will. It is a guide only.

Our resources

Our publication Your Will is a booklet that covers what you need to know if you are thinking of making or changing your Will in Victoria.

See a list of all our free publications and resourcesExternal Link .

How we can help

We don't give legal advice about making or challenging Wills, but we may be able to give you some more information. Many requests can be dealt with online via our web chat.

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 16 January 2023

In this section