Victoria Legal Aid

Consumer complaints

Learn how the law protects you when you buy goods and services, including insurance discrimination, door-to-door sales and contracts.

We do not give information or advice about consumer complaints but there are other organisations that can help.

There are laws to protect consumers when they are buying goods. This includes:

  • buying things online or door-to-door
  • buying goods on lay-by
  • getting refunds
  • services, such as work by tradespeople and utility company services (like gas and electricity suppliers).

There are also laws to protect consumers from experiencing discrimination when they are buying goods and services.

If you are not happy with the goods or services you receive you should first make a complaint to the company that supplied them.

If you cannot resolve the issue with the supplier you may be able to get help from another organisation.

The Consumer Affairs Victoria websiteExternal Link can help you with information about your rights as a consumer, including:

  • refunds and returns
  • repairs and replacements
  • warranties
  • lay-bys
  • gift vouchers and gift cards
  • product safety
  • buying goods online
  • energy products and services.

Sample letters for complaints or refunds

The Consumer Affairs Victoria website also has sample lettersExternal Link that you can use to make a complaint or ask for a refund for a faulty item.


If you experience discrimination when buying goods and services, it may be unlawful. For more information see:

Other organisations that can help

Consumer Action Law Centre

The Consumer Action Law CentreExternal Link gives free legal advice and representation to vulnerable and disadvantaged consumers across Victoria. If you are an individual consumer in a dispute with a credit provider, the centre can give you free advice on your rights and obligations.

Their resources and toolkitsExternal Link may help you to deal directly with complaints and disputes.

This centre runs the Insurance Law ServiceExternal Link . This service has fact sheetsExternal Link and sample lettersExternal Link that may help you to resolve your disputes about insurance matters.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal

If you have a dispute about goods or services that you bought or soldExternal Link , the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal may be able to hear your case.

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has information for consumersExternal Link about how to make a complaint and a tool to help you write a complaint letterExternal Link .

More information

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 18 May 2022

In this section