Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at www.legalaid.vic.gov.au

Other support for fines and infringements

Learn where to get legal help and other support for fines and infringements.

How we can help

Our free legal services include help at court. For some matters, we can also provide you with a lawyer to help you run your case.

You can also contact us for free information about the law and how we can help. If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can. Many requests can be dealt with online via our Legal Help Chat.

Other organisations that can help

Fine fixer

Moonee Valley Legal Service and RMIT have created FineFixer(opens in a new window), an online tool that offers a free and fast way for people with fines to identify and understand their options.


The contact details of the agency that issued your fine depend on the type of fine you have and how far it has progressed in the infringements process.

Fines Victoria

The Director of Fines Victoria is responsible for processing and enforcing fines issued by various government agencies and authorities within Victoria. They also process and enforce fines issued by courts after they have been registered.

The Fines Victoria website has information to help you decide what to do after you get a fine. You can ask them for a payment arrangement, or to conduct an enforcement review.

Visit Fines Victoria to find out how many infringements and court fines have been registered with them.

Fines Victoria also manage the Family Violence Scheme.

Your local community legal centre can give you legal information and advice. Most services are free.


You can take your infringement matter to the Magistrates' Court or the Children’s Court of Victoria, if you are under 18 years of age.

If Fines Victoria reviews your fine and decides that you had special circumstances at the time you were fined they will cancel the enforcement of your fine. The agency that fined you may then decide to charge you for the offence. If this happens you may be referred to court.

Find out more about how you can deal with your fine if you have special circumstances.

Other services

You can contact VicRoads about demerit points.

Try not to get any more fines for not having a valid myki. If you have a significant permanent disability you may be able to get an Access Travel Pass from Public Transport Victoria(opens in a new window). It lets you travel on public transport for free.

Resources for fines and infringements

The resources on this page will help you understand:

  • fines and infringements
  • how to deal with them.

See a list of all our free publications and resources, including:

Resources from other organisations