Victoria Legal Aid

Other support for guardianship and administration orders

Learn where to get legal help and other support for guardianship and administration orders.

How we can help

Contact us for free information about your legal issue and how we can help. If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

You can speak with one of our lawyers about your guardianship or administration order. Our lawyers can give you advice about your matter and explain your rights. This is free.

If you have to go to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for an administration or guardianship order hearing, or already have an order, you can get legal help to work out your options. Our lawyers may also be able to help you get ready for your hearing and speak for you at VCAT on the day.

Other organisations that can help

Your local community legal centreExternal Link can give you legal information and advice. Most services are free.

Mental Health Legal Centre (MHLC)External Link provides a free and confidential legal service to Victorians with a lived experience of mental illness or involvement with the mental health system.

Villamanta Disability Rights Legal ServiceExternal Link is a Victorian community legal centre located in Geelong that assists people with disability-related legal issues. They work mostly with people who have an intellectual disability.

You can also find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral ServiceExternal Link . All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview. Note that the interview is not 30 minutes of free legal advice. You can use this interview to understand more about your legal issue and discuss the available options and how much they will cost.

Office of the Public Advocate

The Office of the Public AdvocateExternal Link provides information, advice and assistance about enduring powers of attorney, guardianship and administration, and consent to medical and dental treatment.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal

The Guardianship List of the Victorian Civil and Administrative TribunalExternal Link makes orders (such as guardianship and administration orders) for people aged over 18 who may not be able to make decisions about themselves, their circumstances, or their financial and legal affairs.

If VCAT has made a guardianship or administration order, it will have a file about your case. You can ask VCAT to look at your file. VCAT should give you enough time to look at your file so you can get ready for your hearing. There may be some information in your file you cannot see if VCAT has a good reason. You may also need to pay a fee to see your file. In some circumstances VCAT can decide not to charge you a fee. You can ask for this to happen.

Financial services

If VCAT makes an administration order, it may appoint a consultant from State TrusteesExternal Link to be your personal financial administrator.

If you need information or help on how to budget or pay debts, Money HelpExternal Link can give you free financial information and refer you to a financial counsellor.


The Victorian OmbudsmanExternal Link investigates actions and decisions by:

  • government departments
  • public statutory bodies and
  • municipal (local) councils.

This includes complaints against State Trustees and the Office of the Public Advocate.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 16 January 2023

In this section