Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at www.legalaid.vic.gov.au

Traffic offences

Information about traffic offences and what happens if you have to appear in court about a traffic offence.

If you get a fine

For information about your options if you receive an infringement notice and what happens if you do not pay the fine by the due date, see Fines and infringements.

If you are charged with a traffic offence

If you are charged you will have to go to court. You will need to decide if you are going to plead guilty or not guilty. You can represent yourself at court but we strongly recommend that you get legal advice first.

If you are found guilty, a magistrate will decide what penalties to give you.