Victoria Legal Aid

Building, buying and selling houses and land

Information about where to get help with the legal aspects of building, buying and selling houses and land in Victoria.

We don’t give information or advice about most matters to do with the building or sale of houses or land.

However, we can give you some information if:

If any of these apply to you, call us on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. If you need an interpreter, let us know when you call.

If none of these apply to you, other organisations may be able to help.

Buying or selling houses and land

Buying or selling houses and land can be complicated. Most people need to use the services of a lawyer, conveyancer and an estate agent.

Consumer Affairs VictoriaExternal Link has information, resources and checklists for buyers and sellers.

State Revenue Office (Victoria) has information on buying a propertyExternal Link , including information for first home ownersExternal Link and land transfer dutyExternal Link .

Land Use VictoriaExternal Link is a Victorian Government website that has information about land and property services. It includes information on land titles, valuations and surveys.

Fitzroy Legal Service’s Law HandbookExternal Link has information about buying and selling houses and land in Victoria.

Lawyers and conveyancers

Conveyancing is the process of transferring the ownership of property from a seller to a buyer. Some private lawyers do conveyancing work as part of their practice. There are also conveyancing services that only do conveyancing work.

The Legal Services Board and CommissionerExternal Link has information about conveyancing and the regulation of lawyers and non-lawyers doing conveyancing work.

The Australian Institute of Conveyancers (Victorian Division)External Link has a directory of Victorian conveyancing services.

You can also find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral ServiceExternal Link . All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview. You can use this interview to understand more about the legal issue and discuss the available options and how much they will cost. Note that the free interview is not 30 minutes of free legal advice.

If you want to do your own conveyancing, there are various do-it-yourself kits that you can buy.

Disputes with lawyers, conveyancers and estate agents

If you are unhappy with the service of a lawyer you have used for your conveyancing or other legal work, you can contact the Legal Services Board and CommissionerExternal Link .

If you are unhappy with the service of a non-lawyer conveyancer, you can contact Consumer Affairs VictoriaExternal Link .

Real estate agents must have a process in place for handling complaints from consumers. They must tell you about they handle disputes when you sign up to use their services. The Consumer Affairs site has information about how to sort out a dispute with an agentExternal Link . You can make a complaint to Consumer AffairsExternal Link but you will need to try to sort the matter out with the estate agent first.

Building contracts

If you are building or renovating your home, Consumer Affairs VictoriaExternal Link has information to help you plan and manage your building project, including dealing with contractors. It also has information about what to do when something goes wrong.

Domestic Building Dispute Resolution VictoriaExternal Link has free advice for consumers and builders to help resolve domestic building disputes.

Justice Connect’s Domestic Building Legal ServiceExternal Link can assist eligible Victorian homeowners involved in disputes with their builders if the dispute cannot be resolved at Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria. The Domestic Building Legal Service applies a means test and is open to Victorian homeowners who do not have access to legal help and advice through other sources. Eligible homeowners may receive a one-hour consultation with a volunteer lawyer who may provide advice or assistance drafting documents.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 28 February 2022

In this section