Victoria Legal Aid

Door-to-door sales

Learn about your rights when people come to your home to sell you something.

Door-to-door sales is when someone knocks on your door trying to sell you something, or asks you to change your gas, electricity company, phone or internet provider.

Door-to-door sellers will often try to pressure you to buy products you don’t want or can’t afford.

You have rights if someone comes to your home to sell you something. There are rules that these sellers must follow


Know your rights

You do not have to:

  • change your gas or electricity company
  • sign a contract
  • give out your personal information
  • let the person into your home
  • show the person your electricity or gas bill.

You can:

  • ask the seller to go away and they must leave immediately
  • ask for time to look at the prices and services offered by other companies
  • ask for a copy of the contract
  • get free advice before signing anything.

Consumer Affairs VictoriaExternal Link has information for consumers and businesses about how the law regulates door-to-door sales.

Changing your mind

If you sign a contract you still have a 10-day ‘cooling off’ period. This means if you change your mind you can cancel the contract within 10 business days. If the seller does not follow the law, the cooling off period is extended for up to six months.

You can cancel the contract by email, phone, letter or by fax. Keep a copy. If you cancelled by phone write down the date of the call, who you spoke to and what you said. Your contract should also include a form so you can cancel the agreement. If not, call the company.

Do not agree to changes to the contract over the phone. Get help.

Stop salespeople knocking on your door

You can get a 'Do not knock' sticker to put on your door. This warns sellers that they are breaking the law if they knock on your door. You can order or download a 'Do not knock' sticker, or the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ‘Do not knock’ sticker, from the Consumer Action Law CentreExternal Link .

Rules about salespeople

Salespeople can only visit between:

  • 9 am and 6 pm Monday to Friday
  • 9 am and 5 pm on Saturday.

They must not visit on Sunday or public holidays.

If you ask a seller to leave at any stage, they must do so immediately. If you ask them to leave they are not allowed to bother you again for at least 30 days.

Take action

If a seller breaks these rules or ignores the 'Do not knock' sticker the company they work for may be charged with an offence. You should write down their name, company, date and time of visit.

You can get legal advice or call an ombudsman. Read how to Get help.

You can also make a complaint to the company, Consumer Affairs VictoriaExternal Link or online via the Consumer Action complaint formExternal Link .

Opt out of all energy retail marketing

Some energy sellers might claim they did not see your 'Do not knock' sticker.

Companies selling retail energy, such as electricity, have to keep a list of people who have asked not to be contacted. This is part of their code of conduct.

The Consumer Action Law Centre has a list of the contact details of energy retailers currently operating in Australia. To stop these unwanted visits, fill in the Opt out of Energy Retailer Marketing formExternal Link . An email will be sent to all energy retailers in your state advising them that you don’t want to be door-knocked by any seller working on their behalf.

If you also want to stop telemarketing, get on the Do Not Call registerExternal Link .

Other support

Find out how you can get other support for business and commercial matters.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 11 April 2022

In this section