Victoria Legal Aid

COVID-19 coronavirus

This page has information for the Victorian community about legal issues relating to the COVID-19 coronavirus.

Learn about legal issues to do with the COVID-19 coronavirus and where Victorians can get help. We will update this page as the situation develops.

For the latest and most reliable health information, updates and advice about COVID-19, please refer to:


Work issues

Your rights

Financial hardship

You may be experiencing financial hardship for individuals, families and businesses due to loss of income. This might mean being unable to pay bills or fines on time. Visit our general topic on Debt and bankruptcy.

If you lose some or all of your income because of the COVID-19 coronavirus, you may be able to:

  • get financial and other support from the Victorian Government
  • get help from Services Australia (Centrelink).

You may be having Centrelink issues, such as being unable to actively look for work. Visit Services Australia information on COVID-19External Link and our general topic on Centrelink.

Housing and renting

The temporary protections for renters during the COVID-19 lockdowns have ended. However the law changed in March 2021, giving more rights and protections to renters. Visit Justice Connect’s What do the new rental laws mean for Victorian renters?External Link Or Consumer Affairs Victoria’s Renting informationExternal Link . You can also visit our general topic home and property.

Products and services

You may experience disputes over refunds for cancelled events or travel plans. Visit Consumer Affairs Victoria's COVID-19 information on products and servicesExternal Link .

Stay up to date

Sign up to our fortnightly newsletter Legal Aid Brief.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 06 March 2024