Victoria Legal Aid

Home and property

Learn about housing and the law, including renting, homelessness and property damage.

If you rent your home, there are laws that protect your rights. These include rules about:

  • rental agreements (sometimes called tenancy agreements or leases)
  • bonds
  • repairs
  • eviction and ending a rental agreement.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 11 April 2023