Victoria Legal Aid

Our law library

Our library is one of the only specialist law libraries open to all members of the public.

Our Public Law Library is one of the only specialist law libraries open to all members of the public. Our experienced librarians can help you to locate legislation, case law, or other legal material from our collection.

Our collection

We have a wide range of resources, both print and electronic, covering a variety of legal topics. You can use some of our resources online, but others can only be accessed when you’re in our library. We do not lend to the public. You can use the Public Law Library CatalogueExternal Link to search our collection for:

  • legal textbooks
  • journals
  • law reports
  • legislation
  • government and law reform reports
  • government gazettes
  • newspapers.

Contact us if you need help.

Visit us

Find us at Level 9, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne 3000.

In addition to our library collection, we offer the following facilities for members of the public:

  • free wireless internet access
  • public-use computers
  • photocopier.

To access the free wireless internet, you will need to ask the reference librarian for login details.

Opening hours

The library is open Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm. You do not need an appointment to visit.

Help for those in regional areas

If you live in a rural or regional area, contact us to find out how we can assist you.

Contact us

If you have a question about our services or need help locating material from our collection, contact us at or (03) 9269 0232.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 18 March 2022

In this section