Victoria Legal Aid

Dividing your property

Property settlements when a relationship ends, including how real estate and other assets, superannuation, investments and debts are divided.

Note that the law is changing on 6 May 2024. We will update this content closer to 6 May 2024.

If you are concerned about your own situation and whether these changes might affect you, please contact us.

If your relationship ends, property may be divided between you and your partner by:

Even if you are able to reach an agreement about property without going to court, it’s a good idea to get legal help before you start negotiating, and again before you sign an agreement.

Who this applies to

This section applies to people who were married and are now separated or divorced from a spouse, or have had their marriage annulled. It also applies to de facto couples, who separated after 1 March 2009.

If you are not married and you separated before 1 March 2009, you have different legal rights. Get legal advice.

What can be divided

Property includes assets (things you own) and liabilities (things you owe money on). These can be owned individually, jointly (with another person or persons), or by a family trust or family company.

This includes:

  • real estate, including the family home
  • money
  • investments
  • insurance policies
  • inheritances
  • shares
  • superannuation
  • any other assets, such as cars, furniture or jewellery
  • debts, such as mortgages, loans, credit cards and personal debts.

All items may be considered in the property settlement. It does not matter:

  • whose name is on the documents
  • who bought an item
  • who made the debt.

You should arrange valuations of all the assets of the marriage or relationship.

The family home

You do not lose your right to a share of the home or other property if you leave the home.

If one person gets the home by agreement or court order, the other person will still have a right to a fair share of the assets. This may mean that the person who stays in the home buys the other’s share of the home or re-finances the mortgage into their sole name.

You may have a right to a share of the home even if it is in a third person’s name.


As part of a property settlement, superannuation can be split so that part of the superannuation entitlements go to the other person when the policy is paid out. Superannuation can be a large asset in the division of property. The law is complicated. Get legal advice.

For more information see the Family Law Courts websiteExternal Link .

Other support

Find out how you can get other support for relationships.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 04 April 2024

In this section