Victoria Legal Aid

English translation

How to tell us about your legal problem and how we can help – English translation of our service information.

This information was produced on Wurundjeri Land.

This information is correct as of January 2022.

Legal problems can make you feel stressed, anxious, sad or angry. We understand you might feel like this when you contact us. We can help with your legal problem.

There are three ways to tell us about your legal problem. You can:

To get ready, get any paperwork about your legal problem. Paperwork can be a fine or a letter or email from a court, a lawyer or the police.

You can phone Legal Help on 1300 792 387.

Legal Help is open Monday to Friday, 8 am to 6 pm. It is closed on public holidays.

Calling costs the same as a local phone call.

Everyone is welcome to phone Legal Help.

If you phone Legal Help, you may have to wait. Phone early in the morning if you can.

It may be faster to use our webchat.

Can I talk in my language?

Our staff speak many languages. If we do not speak your language, we will organise an interpreter when you phone.

Find out if we speak your language.

Can someone phone for me?

Yes. A worker or support person you trust can phone us. It is best if you are with your worker or support person when they phone. Workers should follow the instructions on the phone menu.

Can I use the National Relay Service?

Yes. There are different options:

You must register for the National Relay Service before using it.

Write to us on webchat (English only)

Use our webchat, called Legal Help Chat, to message our staff about your legal problem. Our staff will answer you. They may tell you to phone Legal Help if you need more help.

Visit us

You can visit our offices. We have offices in Melbourne and regional Victoria. Find out where we have offices.

You will need an appointment to talk to a lawyer.

Our offices have ramps or lifts and are service animal friendly.

What happens when you contact us

We will ask you questions. This helps us decide what help we can give you.

Everything you tell us is confidential. We will not tell anyone what you say unless you tell us we can.

We can help with many legal problems. If we cannot answer your questions, we will give you the contact details of someone who can. This may be a community legal centre or a private lawyer.

How we can help

We can tell you about the law and your options.

We may also be able to:

  • send you information
  • talk to you before court
  • connect you with other services and supports
  • write letters
  • speak for you in court.

This depends on:

  • your legal problem
  • how much money you have.

We may be able to give more help if you:

  • have difficulty talking in English
  • have a disability or a mental health issue
  • are Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander.

We can organise support to communicate with us, like interpreters or the National Relay Service.

We can communicate with you in ways that you find helpful.

Tell us how you want us to give you information.

Duty lawyers

Our duty lawyers work at courts across Victoria. They help with some legal problems. They may be able help you on the day of court if you do not already have a lawyer. If you are going to court and do not have a lawyer, ask the court if you can talk to a duty lawyer. You can also ask about other services that can help you.

If you are going to the Magistrates’ Court because police said you broke the law, you may be able to talk to a duty lawyer before going to court. Find out more about our Help Before Court service.

If you are going to the Family Law Courts, you may be able to talk to our Family Advocacy and Support Services before going to court.

Other support

We can give other support for your legal problem.

Independent Mental Health AdvocacyExternal Link can support you if you are having compulsory mental health treatment.

Our Independent Family Advocacy and Support can support parents and primary carers in early stages of the child protection system.

If you and your partner are separating, our Family Dispute Resolution Service can support you to reach agreements. For example, who looks after the children.

Our website has information on many different legal problems.

You can zoom in on the website or use a screen reader.

Do you have information in easy read or in my language?

We have free booklets on some legal topics in different languages and in easy read.

You can find our booklets on our catalogue pageExternal Link .

You can use a screen reader to read our publications.


Our Shared Experience and Support and Speaking from Experience groups helped write this page.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 20 May 2022

In this section