Victoria Legal Aid

Media queries

Contact information for media queries. You can also ask our experienced legal professionals for interview or comment.

Media contacts

The best way to get help with general media enquiries is to contact our Media and Communications team at Use this email address if you are unsure who to contact.

Contact details for specific members of our Media and Communications teams:

News and media releases

You can find our news and media releases listed under News.

You can also sign up for Legal Aid Brief, our newsletter that will keep you up to date with legal aid matters.


Certain restrictions may apply to any comment our legal and non-legal staff can make.

Under section 43 of the Legal Aid Act 1978, we generally cannot provide information that indicates a person has applied for or received legal aid.

We fund the representation of the majority of defendants in criminal trials in Victoria. They may be represented by a Victoria Legal Aid lawyer or a private lawyer who is eligible to do legal aid work.

Funding of serious criminal matters

The right to a fair trial is fundamental and it is vital that all people have access to quality legal representation when accused of a serious crime.

Under the Legal Aid Act, we fund the representation of people accused of serious crimes when they cannot afford a private lawyer, and they meet our eligibility criteria.

Read more about our role in criminal trials.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 01 February 2023