Victoria Legal Aid

Guardianship and administration orders

How administration and guardianship orders work and the role of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Guardianship orders and administration orders are legal documents that give power to one person (the guardian or the administrator) to make decisions on behalf of another person.

These orders can only be made by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

Publications and resources

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 20 May 2022