Victoria Legal Aid

Other support for immigration and migration

Learn where to get legal help and other support for immigration and migration.

How we can help

Contact us for free information and advice about the law and how we can help you with your immigration issue.

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Other organisations that can help

Refugee LegalExternal Link is a community legal centre that specialises in legal advice and representation for refugee and some general immigration matters. The centre offers a casework and advice service for asylum seekers and disadvantaged migrants in the community and in immigration detention. Services are free.

Asylum Seeker Resource Centre

The Asylum Seeker Resource CentreExternal Link provides legal advice and advocacy, aid and health services for asylum seekers living in the community and in detention.

Status Resolution and Support Services program

The Status Resolution and Support Services (SRSS) program provides support and help to people who are living in Australia while their application for a protection visa is being processed.

For more information about SRSS payments, see the Services Australia websiteExternal Link .

If you have been told by Centrelink that you owe money due to a SRSS overpayment, see Debts owed under the Status Resolution and Support Services Program.

Your local community legal centreExternal Link can also give you legal information and advice. Most services are free.

You can also find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral ServiceExternal Link . All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview. You can use this interview to understand more about the legal issue and discuss the available options and how much they will cost. Note that the free interview is not 30 minutes of free legal advice.

Migration Agents Registration Authority

The Migration Agents Registration AuthorityExternal Link handles complaints about the conduct of registered migration agents. It can’t help you with complaints about agents who are not registered.

If you are unhappy with the service you receive or you feel your agent has breached the code of conduct, you can lodge a complaint with the Migration Agents Registration Authority. Where agents are found to be dishonest, incompetent or in breach of the code of conduct they can be cautioned or their registration can be suspended or cancelled.

The authority does not have the power to make the agent give you a refund, pay compensation or issue criminal penalties. It does not give legal advice. Most complaints are handled within six months but may take up to 12 months.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 16 January 2023

In this section