Victoria Legal Aid

Your review rights and the National Disability Insurance Scheme

If you disagree with a decision made by the NDIS, you can ask for a review of the decision.

If you are unhappy with a National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) decision, you can ask for it to be reviewed. This is called seeking an ‘internal review’ of the decision.

You can ask for an internal review of different types of NDIS decisions, for example the decision to:

  • not let you join the NDIS
  • stop you being part of the NDIS
  • not fund or limit particular supports in your plan
  • limit funding to you because of compensation you have received
  • appoint a nominee for you.

How do you ask for an internal review of an NDIS decision?

If you are unhappy with an NDIS decision, you have three months to ask for an internal review of this decision.

You can ask for an internal review by either:

When appealing the decision, you should:

  • clearly state that you are asking for an internal review of the decision
  • explain why you think the decision is wrong
  • give the NDIS evidence to support your internal review, like a letter from your doctor or support worker.

Your request will be the first step in an internal review of the NDIS decision. After this you will receive a letter telling you the outcome of the review request. This is called an ‘internal review decision’.

How do you ask for an external review of an NDIS decision?

If you are not happy with the internal review decision, you can apply to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT)External Link for an external review. The AAT is separate to the NDIS. Requests for external review should be lodged with the AAT within 28 days of the NDIS internal review decision. You can do this by:

  • calling the AAT on 1800 228 333
  • lodging an application on the AAT’s website
  • writing a letter to the AAT.

More information about asking for an external review, and what happens when you make an external review application, is available on the AAT’s websiteExternal Link .

More information

The AAT website contains detailed information about external reviews including:

Other support

You may be able to get assistance if you are asking for an internal or an external review. Get other support for the National Disability Insurance SchemeExternal Link .

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 23 June 2023

Site-section Navigation