Victoria Legal Aid

Other support for street law and graffiti

Learn where to get legal help and other support for street law and graffiti.

How we can help

Contact us for free information about criminal offences and how we can help you. If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

If you are going to court for a criminal offence, and your court date is more than six days away, you can request help before court.

Other organisations that can help

Your local community legal centreExternal Link can give you legal information and advice. Most services are free.

You can also find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral ServiceExternal Link . All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview. You can use this interview to understand more about the legal issue and discuss the available options and how much they will cost. Note that the free interview is not 30 minutes of free legal advice.

Help at court

Court Network volunteersExternal Link support people at court. They are not lawyers and cannot give legal advice, but they can tell you about how court works. You can ring them before you go to court.

Resources for street law and graffiti

These resources will help you understand:

  • criminal offences
  • police powers in Victoria
  • what to do if you go to court for criminal charges.

Read our free publications:

See a list of all our free publications and resourcesExternal Link .

We also have a video about police.

Resources from other organisations

The Youthlaw website contains information on graffiti lawsExternal Link including carrying spray cans and graffiti searches.

Australian Injecting and Illicit Drug Users LeagueExternal Link website has information on the main laws and penalties related to the use of illegal drugs. It includes a section on Victorian laws and penalties.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 16 January 2023

In this section