Victoria Legal Aid

Action 1: establish a preferred trial counsel list

As an outcome of the Delivering high quality criminal trials consultation, we will establish a preferred list of trial barristers for legally aided accused.

We will establish a preferred list of trial barristers for legally aided accused.

Why we will establish a list

We believe establishing a preferred list of trial counsel barristers is the most efficient and effective way to ensure greater accountability around briefing decisions such that competent counsel represent legal aid clients and we can ensure the promotion of a diverse range of skilled barristers being briefed in legally aided work.

What happens next

We have established a list of preferred barristers who can be briefed for legally aided trials. The Criminal Trial Preferred Barrister List became operational in July 2015.

Under the scheme solicitors can still apply to brief barristers who are not on the Criminal Trial Preferred Barrister List for a standard criminal trial (a criminal trial that is likely to last 15 days or less). However, they need to seek specific approval first and explain why that advocate is suitable for a particular trial. Factors we may consider include client needs, case type and complexity, skills, experience and availability of a preferred barrister.

See Criminal Trial Preferred Barrister List for further details about the list, entry requirements and how to brief barristers for trials.

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 29 March 2022

In this section