Get help with employment and your rights

Read our legal information about COVID-19 coronavirus.

Get help with employment and your rights

We may be able to help you if you have experienced discrimination, sexual harassment, victimisation, or racial or religious vilification in your employment. However, we do not help people to defend complaints of discrimination that have been made against them.

We also don’t give legal advice about general employment matters or superannuation complaints, but we may be able to refer you to another organisation that can help you.

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Other organisations that can help

Legal services

Job Watch provides legal assistance to Victorian workers. Job Watch can give you free, confidential telephone information and referrals about work rights.

Your local community legal centre can give you legal information and advice. Most services are free.


The Fair Work Ombudsman investigates complaints or suspected breaches of workplace laws, awards and registered agreements and some Fair Work Commission orders. In some circumstances, the Fair Work Ombudsman may bring litigation to enforce workplace laws.

To make a complaint call the Fair Work Ombudsman Helpline.

Workplace rights

Trade unions can help their members with many employment issues, including pay conditions, unfair dismissals and apprenticeship and traineeship disputes, under state and Commonwealth awards. They can also help members with workers’ compensation disputes under state and Commonwealth awards. See the Australian Council of Trade Unions website.

WorkSafe Victoria

WorkSafe Victoria manages the workers compensation scheme and investigates breaches of occupational health and safety laws. There is information on their website about making a claim and returning to work after you are injured at work.

WorkCover Assist is a free service provided by WorkSafe Victoria to help injured workers who have a workcover dispute with their employer. The staff will explain the conciliation process and will attend a conciliation conference to assist the employee.


Contact the Australian Tax Office's Superannuation Hotline on 131 020 for enquiries and services on superannuation.

Support for independent contractors

If you are an independent contractor, the Department of Industry has information about your rights and a range of support services. You can also call its hotline on 13 28 46 to speak to an advisor about a range of independent contracting matters.

Our business and commercial matters topic also has useful information for independent contractors.

Was this helpful?