Get help with sex and the law

Read our legal information about COVID-19 coronavirus.

Get help with sex and the law

Call us for free information about the law and how we can help you with your legal problem.

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Our other free legal services include:

For some matters we can provide you with a lawyer to help you run your case.

Other organisations that can help

Victoria Police

If you have been sexually assaulted or fear for your safety and the situation is urgent do not wait, contact the police on ‘000’.

If your situation is not urgent contact your local police station and ask to speak to someone from the Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigations Team in your area.

24 hour crisis care

If you have been sexually assaulted in the last two weeks most Centres Against Sexual Assault can help you to see a counsellor/advocate immediately. This will usually happen at a public hospital where they have rooms for their use. The counsellor/advocate can give you support, including:

  • helping you decide if you want to make a report to police
  • giving you information about your legal and medical options
  • arranging medical care, including a forensic medical examination if you do report to police. A forensic medical examination is a medical examination to find evidence and assess if you need treatment
  • helping you to get emergency housing or other crisis care if you need it.

You can contact a Centre Against Sexual Assault 24 hours a day, seven days a week for crisis counselling, support, information and advocacy. They can also help you if you are dealing with the effect of a past sexual assault.

Legal services

Your local community legal centre can give you legal information and advice. Most services are free.

You can also find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral Service. All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview. You can use this interview to understand more about the legal issue and discuss the available options and how much they will cost. Note that the free interview is not 30 minutes of free legal advice. 

Sexual assault and family violence

Sexual Assault Crisis Line is a confidential telephone counselling, information and referral. 5.30 pm – 9 am weeknights, 24-hour service on weekends and public holidays.

Family violence support services are available from:

Sexual health services

Contact Family Planning Victoria for information about sex, contraception and pregnancy.

Other support and referral services

The Kids Help Line offers free, confidential, 24-hour telephone counselling for young people. Email and web counselling is also available.

Somazone offers free, confidential advice and information for young people about sex, mental health, drugs, body image and relationships.

Compensation and financial help

If you have been sexually assaulted, you may be able to get compensation and financial help. There are three main ways of doing this. You can:

  • apply for financial help from the government through the Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal
  • seek compensation from the perpetrator and possibly others by taking civil action
  • apply to the criminal court for an order that the perpetrator pay you compensation. You can only do this if the perpetrator has been convicted of a criminal offence.

See Victims of crime.

Was this helpful?