Guardianship and administration orders

Read our legal information about COVID-19 coronavirus.

Guardianship and administration orders

Guardianship orders and administration orders are legal documents that give power to one person (the guardian or the administrator) to make decisions on behalf of another person.

These orders can only be made by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). 

Major changes to Victoria’s guardianship and administration laws began on 1 March 2020.  You can read more about these changes on the Office of the Public Advocate website. See Guardianship and administration from 1 March 2020.

Guardianship orders give a person (called a ‘guardian’) the power to make decisions on another person’s behalf about their personal matters such as where to live, health care, and access to services. In some guardianship order cases, there may be more than one guardian (called ‘joint guardians’).

Administration orders give a person (called an ‘administrator’) the power to make decisions on another person’s behalf about their finances and associated legal affairs.

VCAT must conduct a hearing before making a guardianship order or administration order. See Going to VCAT.

More information

Guardianship orders

Administration orders

Going to VCAT

Changing or cancelling an order

Get help

Find out how you can get help with guardianship and administration.

Was this helpful?