On this page:
The ATLAS user guides are a step-by-step guides to help you use the most common functions in ATLAS.
We also run regular training sessions to help practitioners use the ATLAS system.
- – how to notify VLA of the preferred counsel for trial and how to request assistance for Senior Counsel
- – how to submit a new application for legal assistance on behalf of a client
- – how to retrieve a draft or partially completed application or extension, and how to submit it
- – how to submit an extension for further legal assistance
- – how to request that a grant of assistance be transferred OUT to another practitioner. This would most usually occur when a conflict of interest arises
- ATLAS Transfer IN (doc, 930 KB) – how to request that a grant of assistance be transferred IN from another practitioner. This would most usually occur when a client requests that you take over the conduct of their matter
- – how to submit an application for reconsideration of a decision or condition relating to a grant of legal assistance
- – how to submit an application for independent review of a decision that has been internally reconsidered by Victoria Legal Aid
- – how to report on the outcome of a grant of assistance when the matter is completed
- Changes to the ATLAS criminal law templates from 1 August 2016 and download the new Panel practitioner guide to ATLAS Criminal Law templates.
– describes changes to and provides information about completing:
- the Simplified Process – Committal Mention and/or plea to the County Court application form
- the Simplified Process – Committal Mention and/or plea to the Supreme Court application form
- the Simplified Process – Indictable Crime – Trial application form
- the Submit Correspondence function
- the File Outcome function.
- – how to check details of a file such as the status of the grant of assistance and the scope of aid, and how to obtain a list of approved ATLAS files assigned to your office
- – how to provide relevant information to Victoria Legal Aid about the grant of aid. Correspondence should not be sent by post, DX or facsimile
- – how to elect whether client correspondence from Victoria Legal Aid is to be sent to the practitioner only
- – describes changes to the 'Submit Claims' screen
- – how to pay a barrister directly from ATLAS
- – how to pay VLA Chambers’ advocates from ATLAS
- – how to submit a claim to Victoria Legal Aid for payment
- – how to complete the Costs Indemnified section when submitting a claim for payment
- – how to retrieve, update and submit a claim or how to delete a claim
- – how to obtain details of an invoice such as status, the amounts available and claimed, and a submitted claim and payment details
- – how to notify Victoria Legal Aid of changes to client details
- – how to respond to requests from Victoria Legal Aid for further information regarding an application for assistance
Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.
We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at www.legalaid.vic.gov.au
Reviewed 07 February 2023