Demerit points

Demerit points

You will get one or more demerit points for most driving offences. The points are recorded against a drivers licence or permit.

When you get too many demerit points you risk having your licence suspended.

VicRoads looks after the demerit points system, not the courts or the police. The VicRoads website has a list of demerit point offences.

Limits for demerit points

There are different limits for how many demerit points you can accumulate before your licence is suspended, depending on what sort of licence you are on:

  • full licence-holders – no more than 11 demerit points within any three-year period
  • learner or P-plate driver – no more than four demerit points within any 12-month period.

If you get too many demerit points, VicRoads will send you a demerit point notice.

Demerit point notice

A demerit point notice is a letter that sets out two options for you to choose from:

  • accept your licence suspension and stop driving for the suspension period, or
  • keep your licence or permit but do not get any more points for the next 12 months.

If you do not reply to VicRoads within 21 days, they will suspend your licence. The date that the suspension starts is written on the demerit point notice.

VicRoads will send a reminder two weeks before the suspension period starts.

The VicRoads website has more information about what if you are issued with a demerit point notice.

Suspension period

Your licence will be suspended for:

  • three months for the first 12 demerit points
  • one month for every extra four points.

If you lose your licence you must not drive at all during this time. There are no exceptions. For example, you cannot drive to work or to pick up your children. There are very serious penalties for driving while suspended.

Disqualification notice

Drivers from overseas and drivers who are unlicensed can be disqualified from driving if they get 12 or more demerit points while they are driving in Victoria.

If the driver is under 22 years old they can also be disqualified if they get five demerit points or more within any 12 month period.  

The disqualification notice tells the driver when the disqualification period begins.  

If you keep your licence but then get more points

If you choose to keep your licence and get another demerit point in the 12-month period, your licence will be suspended for twice as long as it would have if you had chosen the original suspension.

When are demerit points added to your licence?

Demerit points are added to your licence from the date that your offence is alleged to have happened.

If you got an on-the-spot fine for this offence, demerit points are not recorded until 28 days after the offence is alleged to have happened. After this time the points will be officially recorded.

Challenging the offence in court

Unless VicRoads made a mistake when counting up the number of demerit points you have, the only way that you can do something about demerit points is if you decide to plead not guilty and challenge the offence in court.

The demerit points will not be recorded against your licence or permit if the magistrate finds that:

  • you are not guilty
  • the police made some mistake about your charge.

Points will be added if you are found guilty. Once a decision is made the magistrate has no power over demerit points. The number of demerit points you get is set and recorded by VicRoads.

For example, the number of demerit points for a speeding charge depends on your speed. You could get between one and eight demerit points. If the magistrate decides that your speed was less than what your charge sheet says, you could get fewer points added to your licence.

You can only appeal if there was a mistake in counting the demerit points. The VicRoads website has more information about the grounds for appeal.

Nominate another driver

Sometimes you will be charged with an offence because you are the registered owner of a vehicle that was detected by a speed or red-light camera.

If you were not driving when the offence happened you can tell the court who was driving your vehicle.

Get help

Find out how you can get help with traffic offences.

Was this helpful?