Who is eligible for help?

Who is eligible for help?

Our legal information is available to all Victorians. Unfortunately other services and legal advice is limited to people that need it most. We follow guidelines to try and make this as fair as possible.

If we can’t help you, we may be able to refer you to other services who can.

Free legal information available to everyone

Anyone can get free information by:

You can also get legal help over the phone but there may be a wait time.

Legal services for people who need it most

Depending on your circumstances, we may be able to:

To get a lawyer to run your case you must be eligible for a grant of legal assistance. To decide whether you are eligible we look at:

  • what your case is about
  • the likely benefit to you
  • if helping you can benefit the public
  • your financial situation.

If you are going through a separation or divorce that involves family dispute, you may be able to use the Victoria Legal Aid Family Dispute Resolution Service instead of going to court. You will only be able to take part if you or the other parent in the dispute is eligible to get a lawyer to run your case.

Legal problems we don’t give advice about

There are some things we don’t give legal advice about. We may still provide links, information and referrals to other organisations. Legal problems we don’t give advice about include:

Legal problem

Other organisations and information

Building contracts and disputes

Domestic Building Legal Service, Justice Connect

Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Law Institute of Victoria

Our building, buying and selling houses and land topic

Business and commercial matters – including commercial tenancy

Small Business Commissioner

Business Victoria

Law Institute of Victoria

Indigenous Business Australia 1800 107 107 

Our business and commercial matters topic

Consumer law

Consumer Action Law Centre

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Koori Line 1300 66 15 11 at Consumer Affairs Victoria

Our consumer disputes topic


Employment law (except discrimination matters against workers)

For employees:

For employers:

Our employment law topic

Fencing and trees

Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria

Private lawyer referral from Law Institute of Victoria

Landlords with tenancy issues

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Private lawyer referral from Law Institute of Victoria

Our Housing and tennancy topic

Migration visas related to business, skilled migrants, students, tourism

Migration agent (Migration Agent Registration Authority can provide referral)

Law Institute of Victoria

Our migration matters topic

Organisations seeking advice

Justice Connect

Law Institute of Victoria

Wills and estates

Private lawyer referral from Law Institute of Victoria

State Trustees

Probate Office of the Supreme Court of Victoria

Our Wills and deceased estates topic

Other legal matters we don’t give advice about

You can find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral Service. All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview. You can use this interview to understand more about the legal issue and discuss the available options and how much they will cost. Note that the free interview is not 30 minutes of free legal advice. 

  • consumer scams and cyber crime
  • energy disputes
  • environmental law
  • financial planning/asset management/trusts
  • horse agistment
  • intellectual property (copyright, patents, trademarks) queries
  • insurance and income protection queries
  • motor vehicle accidents
  • occupational accreditation (except working with children checks)
  • owner’s corporation (body corporate) queries
  • personal injury (medical negligence, motor vehicle related injuries, public liability, occupier’s liability, workplace related injuries)
  • privacy
  • product liability
  • property disputes and conveyancing (adverse possession, easements, subdivision disputes, caveats)
  • superannuation claims and appeals
  • taxation matters including disputes with the State Revenue Office (except criminal offences)
  • town planning, development and environment disputes.

Was this helpful?