Get help with child support

Read our legal information about COVID-19 coronavirus.

Get help with child support

Some of our child support services are available to everyone, while other, more intensive, services are offered to people who need it the most.

To help us assess the child support service you require, please use the enquire about a child support appointment form.

Some people on the Disability Support Pension are facing incorrect child support debts after lodging their tax returns this year.

  • Do you receive a Disability Support Pension?
  • Are your tax returns up to date?
  • Did your child support debt increase after tax time?

If yes, you can enquire about an appointment with our Child Support Legal Service by completing the appointment enquiry form or by calling Legal Help: 

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Read more at Disability Support Pension – get help with child support after tax time.

Our other free legal services include:

For some matters we can provide you with a lawyer to help you run your case.

We also have a range of family law resources that can help you. We also have these videos:

Other organisations that can help

Department of Human Services (Child Support)

The Department of Human Services can help you with child support matters. Call 131 272 between 8.30 am and 4.45 pm.

The Child Support Info Service is an automated service for parents already getting child support payments. It is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To use this service you need a Child Support Reference Number and a Personal Identification Number.

Support services for separated families also provide separated parents with a range of services to help them with their child support needs.

The Department of Human Services also has:

Legal services

Some community legal centres have specialist family law and child support services. Most services are free. See the Federation of Community Legal Centres website to find a centre near you.

You can also find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral Service. All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview. You can use this interview to understand more about the legal issue and discuss the available options and how much they will cost. Note that the free interview is not 30 minutes of free legal advice. 

Support services

Contact the Family Relationship Advice Line if you need information on family relationship issues and advice on parenting arrangements after separation.

You can also go to Family Relationship Online to find:

  • a family dispute resolution centre
  • a child contact centre – where children can see their parents or where changeover from one parent to another can occur. Many contact centres also provide support programs for children and parents experiencing family breakdown
  • other services that can help you reach agreement about the children.

Family violence and support services

Family violence services are available for people who wish to leave, or have left, a violent relationship.

If you are experiencing family violence and the situation is urgent do not wait, contact the police on ‘000’.

For more family violence and support services see Get help with family violence.

Was this helpful?