Get help with family violence

Read our legal information about COVID-19 coronavirus.

Get help with family violence

Call us for free information about family violence intervention orders and how we can help you with your legal problem.

If we can’t help, we can refer you to other organisations that can.

Our other free legal services include:

For some matters we can provide you with a lawyer to help you run your case.

Emergency help for people experiencing family violence

If you are experiencing family violence and the situation is urgent do not wait, contact the police on ‘000’.

Other organisations that can help

Legal services

Your local community legal centre may be able to give you legal information and advice. Some centres also provide advice and representation at court. Most services are free.

The Women's Legal Service Victoria provides free confidential legal information, advice, representation and referral for women.

Djirra (formerly the Aboriginal Family Violence Prevention and Legal Service) helps Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander victims of family violence and sexual assault. They provide legal and non-legal support, and work with families and communities affected by violence.

You can also find a private lawyer near you through the Law Institute of Victoria’s Legal Referral Service. All law firms included in the Legal Referral Service provide a free 30-minute interview. Note this is not 30 minutes of free legal advice but you can use this interview to understand more about your legal issue and discuss the available options and how much they will cost.


The Family Violence Magistrates' Court of Victoria website can help you find your nearest court to apply for an intervention order.

Many courts have support services that can help you on the day of your hearing. These include lawyers for family violence applicants, respondents, LGBTIQA+ and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with family violence legal need.

Court Network volunteers support people at court. They are not lawyers and cannot give legal advice, but they can tell you about how court works. They can also make referrals to other community agencies for support after the hearing.

If you want to see a Court Network volunteer, tell the court staff. You can also ring them before you go to court.

Combined legal and social support services at the Family Court

Family Advocacy and Support Services are available at the Melbourne and Dandenong Family Law Registries.

This is for people who are involved in family law proceedings and who have experienced, used or are alleged to have used family violence.

It combines specialist legal advice, risk screening, safety planning, social support and referrals for families affected by family violence. See Family Advocacy and Support Services.

Family violence support services

Family violence services for people who wish to leave, or have left, a violent relationship are available from:

Services for respondents

The Men’s Referral Service/No to Violence provides referrals and help for men who use controlling behaviour towards a partner or family member, but also provide support and referrals to women and men seeking information on behalf of their male partners, friends or family members.

Mensline also helps men who are dealing with family violence.

Other services

Other services that may be able to help you are:

Was this helpful?