Victoria Legal Aid

Parking laws make our roads safer. They also help us use parking spaces fairly, so that people can access places and services when they need to.

Parking means to stop your car or vehicle in a place and leave it there for a time. The law might say you have parked even if you only stop for a few minutes or do not leave your vehicle.

You must obey parking and stopping rules even if your vehicle breaks down or your hazard warning lights are on.

Parking rules – the basics

There are some laws that you need to follow every time you stop or park. You must:

  • obey relevant parking signs
  • park within marked bays (if marked)
  • not get in the way of traffic, cyclists or pedestrians
  • allow enough space for large vehicles to pass (usually three metres).

Before leaving the vehicle, you must:

  • make sure the parking brake is on
  • remove the key from the ignition
  • lock all doors and windows if there is no one in the vehicle
  • check for traffic and cyclists before opening your door, getting out of or off the vehicle.

One of the biggest risks to cyclists is car doors opening in their way. It is against the law to cause a hazard (danger or risk) to a person or another vehicle by:

  • opening a door
  • leaving a door open
  • getting off or out of a car, motorcycle, bus or other vehicle.

Types of parking

Visit the VicRoads websiteExternal Link for information about rules to follow for:

  • parallel parking
  • angle parking
  • centre of road parking
  • parking on a nature strip, footpath, shared path, bicycle path or dividing strip
  • other types of parking.

Parking signs

Parking signs tell you where you can and cannot stop or park.

Read signs top down, left to right. The most important restrictions are often at the top. Although it is important to read the whole sign carefully to know:

  • whether you can stop or park there
  • how long you can stop or park there
  • any other restrictions.

For more information and examples of signs visit the VicRoads websiteExternal Link .

Time limits

The time limits on a parking sign only apply during the times shown. Outside of those times, you can park as long as you want, unless another sign says you cannot.

Once you have reached the time limit, you cannot add more money to the meter or move to a nearby spot. You must move your vehicle out of the length of road or area that the sign applies to.

Public holidays

Some parking restrictions do not apply on public holidays. Learn more on the VicRoads websiteExternal Link .

Where can I not stop or park?

Generally, parking signs will tell you whether you can stop or park in a particular location. However, there are some situations where you cannot stop or park, even if there are no signs.

It is important to follow these rules to keep yourself and others safe.

Examples include:

  • double parking (next to a vehicle that is already parked next to the edge of the road)
  • if there is less than three metres of clear road next to your vehicle for traffic to pass
  • next to a continuous yellow line on the edge of the road
  • across a driveway (you can stop for two minutes if you are dropping off or picking up passengers and do not leave your car)
  • on a freeway, unless it is an emergency and you stop in the emergency stopping lane.

There are other places and situations where you must not stop or park. Learn more on the VicRoads websiteExternal Link .


Unless a sign says otherwise, you can park your bicycle on a footpath or nature strip if it is safe and not in the way. Use a bicycle rack or rail if one is available.

Motorcycles and scooters

Unless a sign says otherwise, you can park your motorbike or scooter on a footpath or nature strip if it is safe and not in the way.

You can also park your motorbike or scooter at an angle in parallel parking areas.

How much space should I leave when I park?

There are laws about how many metres you must leave before and after common road features, such as:

  • fire hydrants
  • Australia Post mailboxes
  • intersections
  • pedestrian crossings
  • between your vehicle and the next vehicle when parallel parking.

To learn more visit the VicRoads websiteExternal Link .

Parking with an accessible parking permit

If you have disability or injury, you may be able to apply for an accessible parking permitExternal Link .

There are three types of accessible parking permits in Victoria:

  • Australian Disability Parking Permit for individuals
  • Australian Disability Parking Permit for organisations
  • Double Time Permit.

If you have an Australian Disability Parking Permit you can:

  • park in an accessible parking bay for the time displayed on the sign
  • park in a standard parking bay for double the time displayed on the parking sign.

A Double Time Permit allows you to park in a standard parking bay for double the time on the parking sign.

You can only use an accessible parking permit when:

  • you are using the vehicle to transport the person the permit was issued for
  • you display the permit clearly so the permit number and expiry date are visible from outside the vehicle.

You may need to give your name and address and show your driver licence to police or a parking inspector if they ask.

Sometimes a sign or parking machine will say you do not have to pay if you have an accessible or disability parking permit. Check that you have the right type of permit for this. It is not always free to park in an accessible parking bay.

Learn more about accessible parking permitsExternal Link .

Parking fines

Learn more about parking infringements and fines.

Publications and resources

Fines and infringements

Fines: the law, your options

Bike law: a bicycle rider’s guide to road rules in Victoria

Other support for fines and infringements

VicRoadsExternal Link

Fines VictoriaExternal Link

FineFixerExternal Link

Disclaimer: The material in this print-out relates to the law as it applies in the state of Victoria. It is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this print-out without getting legal advice about their own particular situations. Victoria Legal Aid disclaims any liability howsoever caused to any person in respect of any action taken in reliance on the contents of the publication.

We help Victorians with their legal problems and represent those who need it most. Find legal answers, chat with us online, or call us. You can speak to us in English or ask for an interpreter. You can also find more legal information at

Reviewed 01 February 2024

In this section